Tashkent Hotels

Abulkosim Sheikh Madrasah

Abulkosim Sheikh Madrasah was named after the Tashkent Khan Abulkosim, who lived in the 18th century. He was a great intellectual, a very respected and popular sheikh among the people. Abulkosim spent 30 thousand gold rubles on the construction of this madrasah, and then, until his death in 1892, he annually paid for the education of 150 students, among whom the famous Uzbek poet Abdullah Kadiri studied.

The madrasah began to be built at the beginning of the 19th century. Studies of this building have shown that it was intended to be one-story, and the second floor began to be built only in the second half of the 19th century. On the second floor you see hudjras - rooms where students lived.

Today, this madrasah houses a permanent exhibition of decorative and applied arts of Uzbekistan, which presents the works of masters from all regions of the country, and the hudjras house the workshops of artists, woodcarvers, chasers and ceramists. Their products are displayed here for sale to tourists.

The International Foundation “Oltin Meros” (golden heritage) is also located here, created to support and develop folk crafts and traditions of art and culture of the peoples of Uzbekistan.